Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sport Welding Complete Inside, Outside Spot Welding & Frame Next

I was able to finish the last remaining spot welds inside the interior and trunk area this weekend.  The next step was to take the body off the frame and then begin working underneath the body and adding more structure to the frame.  Below you can see the body on the rotisserie again and outside.



I spent a little time working with the car in the same position this weekend grinding and welding and it's much nicer than working on your back. I probably need about 2-3 days to finish the griding and welding on the body shell and then it will be ready for soda blasting.


The next several pictures just show the close-ups of floor and you can see the number of spot welds required to secure the support brackets to the floor pan.  Since I started the project they now sell the floor with the braces already welded to the floor.  That would have saved A LOT of time!






The next project is to add some steel to the frame to box the channels running front to rear and also some tube to help provide a much stronger frame. The first step was to set the frame up on some stands and then add a bunch of weight to hold it in place while welding.  Fortunately I was able to borrow some sand bags from my plow truck now that we don't have snow to hold it in place.


I was able to get the steel cut today and tacked into place to box the frame rails. The next step is to add the structure to the rear and then some tubes. Below is an example of what the end result should look like, I don't remember where I found the picture but the additional tubes should add a lot more strength to the frame and that combined with the roll bar should keep things in place when launching!



No comments:

Post a Comment