Sunday, January 29, 2012

6 pt roll bar complete!

This weekend I was able to finish the roll bar.  Last weekend my wife helped get the main hoop set but I ended up moving it about 3/16" to get it aligned and ensure it was positioned in the same place both by measuring any visually.   I bought the main hoop and rear struts from Competition Engineering and then bough 36 feet of 1.75 DOM tube from the local steel mill to finish the roll bar.

When I tried to fit the rear struts they were bent too far and were not going to give the look I wanted.   I really wanted to make sure I could keep the rear seat in full and also keep the roll bar tucked tight to the roof.    So I took the struts provided and made a template so the struts could extend further in the trunk as well as tuck up tight to the roof.

Since I didn't use the struts for the rear I ended up using them for the door bars.  This also helped solve another problem with the door armrest not fitting.  I found a few other pictures on-line where they had removed the armrest due to the roll bar fit and I didn't want to have to remove them. 

This gives you a good view from the drivers side and also shows how tightly the roll bar tucks up to the roof.   The one problem I did run into is the location of the seats.  I need to relocate them inward about 1" so that they don't rub on the door bars. 


From the front of the car you can hardly see the roll bar.


The cross-bar that run from one side to the other is about 3" below the door bars and also just below the top of the seats.



Here's a nice view from the rear of the car that shows the rear struts and the location they are welded to in the trunk.  One thing you cannot see is a support bar I welded just below the rear package tray that attaches the rears struts from side-to-side.




Here's a nice picture from inside the car, it's a little out of focus but does show how the rear struts are tucked up tight to the roof and follow the angle of the rear window

No comments:

Post a Comment