Sunday, January 22, 2012

More trunk hinge mods, interior welding and roll bar

After last weekend I was able to get the trunk to stand up straight on it's own.  Only problem was after I closed it for the first time the bars that hold the trunk up came apart from the hinge.  So the first thing I did was fabricate new ends and welded them on the existing bars.  I also extended the bar about 3/4" on the inside so it will not come out of the hole.  We'll find out once I put the trunk back on if this was enough.


The next area I focused on was finishing the interior spot welding.  I went across the passenger side door sill again and also finished the inside wheel well spot welding.  After that was finished I was able to start working on the roll bar. 

The first step was to cut up some 6"x6" pieces of 1/8" plate to mount the roll bar to.  I had to contour the plate a little bit so that it followed the floor pan.  


You can see in the picture below the location of the plate for the main hoop.  My wife was kind enough to come out for a few hours and help get the main hoop in the right place.  We ended up cutting about 6" off each end to get the main hoop to fit correctly.  If you measure from the top to the bottom I ended up with 41" 


To get a general idea of where the front bars would end up being I leaned a few of the bars I bought for the frame in the door jams.  Next up is to get the rear bars set into place.  I bought the rear seat saver bars pre-bent so hopefully they will fit fine.  One thing is for sure you need to measure twice and cut once!  It takes a little longer but it'll look better in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment