Monday, December 19, 2011

Body mock-up

Today I went through and assembled a portion of the front of the car to ensure that the frame that was created would work without additional modifications.  As you can see from the front view the radiator core support fits well and so do the fenders. I was a bit concerned since the reference points from the Chevelle frame diagram that I had really don't match those on a Oldsmobile.  however after shortening the frame about 3-1/2" and then replacing the front frame section the overall frame works just fine except for one issue.  The issue is the front body mounting holes at the firewall which appear to be about 3/8" to 1/2" lower than a Chevelle from my measurements. During the mock-up below I added about 5/16" to 3/8" of washers to help make up the gap and it appears to have worked out well.

From the front view below you can see where filling the firewall has cleaned up the engine compartment.  The only problem was that I covered one of the fender bolt holes.  This was easily remedied with a drill and a few minutes work.


The front side view below shows that for the most part everything appears to align but what you don't see is the large gap between the door and quarter panel.  After I finish the welding on the body shell I'll then be purchasing new doors, fenders and radiator support.  My plan is to still use the original SS hood so when the car is finished the hood and roof will be the only original exterior sheet metal left on the car.  


This view shows the drivers interior kick-panel that I had to rebuild.  After replacing the rocker panel the lower firewall section was pretty rotted and thus I ended up replacing a large section of the inner structure. I did the same on the passenger side as well but the drivers side was much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment