Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Spot-Welding Part 1

I've spent the last two days working on the firewall and the inside of the drivers side welding. I've gone through nearly one pound of innershield wire with the spot welding and that's actually quite a bit given how much I've completed.

Below you can see the passenger side of the firewall.  I have filled all of the holes finally and gotten rid of the remaining sheet metal screws holding panels in place. 


Here's the drivers side of the firewall with the remaining holes filled.  In addition, I've also filled the location on the lower left where the E-Brake cable went through the firewall.  We'll be using some blocks instead of the E-Brake :)  This is much cleaner and it will also clean-up the underside of the car.



Here's the inside view of the drivers side of the car.  As you can see based on the stripes of bare steel there are 3 braces providing support to the floor pan.    I've been spacing the spot welds no more than about 1" apart so there should be plenty of structural support.



This shows the inside rear view of the drivers side.  As you can see from the picture there are a few structural pieces missing from the inside.   These were torched by the previous owner in order to make room for the tubs.  I'm going to try to fabricate some sections of steel that should also provide more structure to the shell.  However, I wanted to get all of the spot welding completed on the inside before I took on that project.   The inner/outer wheel wells were a bit difficult to get a good weld so I also add some small strips of weld about 5" apart around the radius so it shouldn't go any where.



This is the view from the outside of the car and you can see everywhere that's bare metal has been hit by spot welds.  If I were to guess based on what I completed the last two days it's probably somewhere around 400-450 spot welds.  The fun has just begun, I am only about 15-20% through the spot-welding. I have two more rolls of innershield so hopefully that will last me through this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment