Monday, December 26, 2011

The new dash!

Here's the starting point for the dash this morning.  I spent last night drafting a layout with some free CAD software called PowerSHAPE-e (http://www.powershape-e.com/index.asp) that actually worked out quite nice.  I was able to do the mock-up and get some initial dimensions.

This photo shows the tach that I centered and also recessed the entire contour to help make it look "factory-like".

Here's the view from the rear of the car.

Now with the tach in the hole, this really makes for a nice custom view and eliminates the need for the tach to be mounted to the steering wheel or somewhere else in the car.

From the view below you can see where I made the changes to the panel that will now have all of the gauges.  As you can see from the triangle near the globe box trim molding I actually moved the location by about 1 3/4" so that it's not laid back nearly as much.  With the change in angle it still makes it easy to see and also with the contour by the trim molding it's not too far removed from what I would expect the car to look like stock.

Here's a close-up of the dash, tach and steering wheel.


No comments:

Post a Comment